South Australian Premier Steven Marshall has joined the program at the innovation and social policy summit Civic Nation to deliver the opening keynote address.
Mr Marshall, who led the South Australian Liberal Party into government last March after a long period in opposition, is expected to outline the challenges of an economy in transition in a presentation titled On The Precipice Of Disruption.
The Civic Nation 2018 forum and policy roundtables will be held at Sydney’s Four Seasons Hotel on September 27. This event will sell out. You can reserve your seat here.
In recent months, Mr Marshall has overseen the restructure of the state’s innovation infrastructure, including the creation of three industry assistance funds: the Economic and Business Growth Fund, the Research, Commercialisation and Startup Fund and the Regional Growth Fund.
He has also set aside $1 million earlier this month to bolster South Australia’s campaign to attract the National Space Agency to the state, and his government has been pressing ahead with plans to develop the old Royal Adelaide Hospital into a world-class Innovation Precinct.
Also added to the Civic Nation 2018 agenda is the executive director of the Centre for Independent Studies, Tom Switzer. Mr Switzer, who is also the presenter of ABC Radio National’s Behind the Lines program, will talk about the Downside Perils of Digital Destruction.
Mr Switzer says capitalism is innovative, and it is most successful when most innovative. However, when capitalism is most innovative, it is also most destructive, and sometimes visits mayhem on certain groups that are not capable of adapting to radical economic change.
It is a mistake to dismiss ordinary people who are attracted to populist and nativist movements across the western world as history’s leftovers, he says.
Another addition to the program is the director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the United States Studies Centre, Claire McFarland, who will present on Australia’s Economic Growth Engine.
The full list of Civic Nation 2018 speakers are:
- The Hon. Steven Marshall MP, Premier of South Australia
- The Hon. Ed Husic MP, Shadow Minister for the Digital Economy, and Shadow Minister for Human Services, Federal Opposition
- Nick Hanauer, Co-founder and Partner, Second Avenue Partners and Founder, Civic Ventures
- Andrew Charlton, Director, AlphaBeta
- Tom Switzer, Executive Director, The Centre for Independent Studies
- Rev. Tim Costello, Chief Advocate, World Vision
- Prof. Toby Walsh, Scientica Professor, Artificial Intelligence, UNSW
- Paul Shetler, Co-Founder, AccelerateHQ and Former CEO, Digital Transformation Office
- Ellen Broad, Independent Data Consultant and Former Head of Policy at Open Data Institute
- Adrian Turner, Chief Executive Officer, Data61
- Claire McFarland, Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, US Studies Centre
- Danny Gilligan, Chief Executive Officer, Reinventure
- Glenn Archer, Visiting Fellow, ANU and former government Chief Information Officer, Australian Government
- Loretta Joseph, Director, International Regulatory Advisory, Paradym Global Ltd
- Pia Andrews, Executive Director of Digital Government, NSW Government
Civic Nation 2018 is presented by InnovationAus.com in conjunction with three valued sponsorship partners, PwC Australia, Ping Identity, and Huawei. You can reserve your seats for this important event here.
Do you know more? Contact James Riley via Email.