The Australian Research Council has appointed Professor Gavin Reid as its executive director for mathematics, physics, chemistry, and earth sciences.
Professor Reid is a bioanalytical chemist at the University of Melbourne where he has also served as the faculty of science’s associate dean (infrastructure) since April 2023.
He has also had research stints at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, and in the United States’ Purdue University and Michigan State University.
Australian Research Council chief executive Judi Zielke said the organisation is “very much looking forward to Professor Reid joining us”.
Professor Reid said he is delighted to represent these disciplines on the ARC executive and hopes to “promote and shape the future of research funding, translation and impact within these fields in Australia”.
University of Sydney vice-chancellor (research) Professor Emma Johnston has been appointed to the board of CSIRO, as reported by InnovationAus.com. Professor Johnston is a conservation and marine science expert who was one of the chief authors of the 2021 State of the Environment report.
Lithium Australia chief executive Simon Linge has been promoted to managing director after just eight months in the role. He previously held senior executive roles at circular economy solutions firm Pact Group, mining equipment firm Bradken, and BlueScope Steel.
The Western Australian government has appointed an 12-member advisory council to support the implementation of the state’s 10-year Health and Medical Research Strategy. It will be chaired by Department of Health deputy director general Angela Kelly. Other members are:
- John Van Der Wielen: Future Health Research and Innovation Fund Advisory Council chair
- Professor Ian Everall: WA Health Translation Network executive director
- Professor Romola Bucks: University of Western Australia professor of psychology
- Dr Grant Waterer: East Metropolitan Health Service executive director
- Renee Hallam: Telethon Kids Institute head of innovation and commercialisation
- Professor Kevin Pfleger: University of Western Australia director of biomedical and health innovation
- Bronwyn le Grice: ANDHealth chief executive and managing director
- Anthony DeCeglie: Telethon Trust trustee and Seven West Media editor in chief of West Australian Newspapers
- Deborah Attard Portughes: Women and Infants Research Foundation chief executive
- Dylan Smith: Philanthropy Australia state manager
- Glenda Swinbourne: Consumer representative
Australia’s financial regulator, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, has appointed three new commissioners, including Treasury first assistant secretary Katherine O’Rourke and consumer rights group CHOICE’s chief executive Alan Kirkland. In her current role, Ms O’Rourke has overseen Treasury’s work on data and digital economic reforms, small business policy and regulatory frameworks governing market conduct.
At the end of last month, Jobs Victoria’s executive director for business operations and digital services Brad Petry left the state’s Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions after three and a half years across the agency, as reported by iTnews. In his most recent role, he oversaw the implementation of a data and digital strategy.
At the Department of Home Affairs, Joe Smith has been promoted to become assistant secretary cyber security response coordination.
Other notable public service moves include Bernard Philip joining Defence’s strategy, policy, and industry group from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, as well as Fleur Champion de Crespigny’s appointment as the Department of Education’s assistant secretary, market analysis and data.
Do you know more? Contact James Riley via Email.